Wednesday 21 June 2017

All in the Family

My younger sister and I hatched this plan to surprise my parents with my visit to Michigan.

Now, before I go any further, there are a few things you need to know about my family that may not have been picked up on social media posts.

1. I'm working class all the way. I know, I know you thought I made so much money as a teacher, astrologer and author that I was not only rolling in the Benjamins (Benjamin Franklins that is--$5 bills/notes) but that I came from a classy background. Not so! I'm the daughter of a lorry driver, the recipient of a grant from the fresh air fund so I could go to university and someone who always has to be reminded not to wipe her mouth on the back of her hand. Oh and I put my elbows on the counter and always drop my neatly pressed napkin on the floor because I don't sit up straight at the dinner table in restaurants. Come to think of it, I also have the reputation for nicking pens from hotels--although I do this mainly to give to my forgetful pupils. "Would you like a pen from the Grand Canyon, one from NYC or LA?" I'll ask them. The pens that I manage to hold on to for the longest time are the ones the kids never choose to use, lol. Anyway, watch your pens around me!

2. I'm mixed race. My dad is from a European background and my mom is a full-blooded, card-carrying band member of the Saugeen Indian Reservation (we're Ojibwa to save you googling it). I've spent all my life explaining how this song both describes and doesn't come close to describing my life as a half breed: 



Just suffice to say it's been an interesting life but I don't ride around on horses in my underwear. Although someone did once ask me about that!

3. In an effort to escape the stigma of being a half breed, I moved to England. And made the problem a whole lot worse, innit?

4. Despite all the flying I do, I really hate it. To get me on a plane usually involves an hour or so in the bar--with my elbows on the counter.

5. For the flight to Michigan from Seattle, my west coast friends made an alternative suggestion to the pub. I don't want to give too much away but here's a hint:
Best flight ever!

6. My family can't keep secrets! It was decided that surprising both parents might lead to the demise of one or both of them so my mom was informed I was on my way.

At Seatac airport when my mom asked on Facebook (on my public wall) what time my flight was, I got a fit of the giggles. In fact, I was giggling so much I was a little worried I wouldn't be allowed on the flight. Someone actually asked me if I was OK (where was the Seattle Freeze I wondered again?). Which of course only made me giggle more. I was giggling so much, I also set my sister in Detroit off via Messenger--so much so that she had to pull over so she could take her eyes of the road and throw her head back and laugh properly.

Fortunately after a nap on the plane, I was in a frame of mind for the landing, the luggage re-claim and another round of waiting in a strange place to be picked up. I'm happy to say there were no problems and I found my family without incident.

As a Cancerian, no matter how things might appear otherwise on social media, I'm a pretty private person. I have my life on the stage and off the stage. Nonetheless, the Moon in Leo in me can't help but boast about a few things.

My dad was surprised and he nearly jumped out of skin when he saw me. Mission Accomplished.

After three beautiful daughters, my sister is finally going to fulfil her Freudian mission to produce a penis: my nephew is due on the Autumn Equinox! None of us feel boy babies are better than girl babies but we can't help but celebrate the fact that this boy is going to get a good solid dose of Girl Power!

I got to see lots of family and friends including my cousins from the reservation, one of my oldest and dearest friends Chris and the totally divine, utterly gorgeous Barbara Payton who I am delighted to announce is coming to India! Here we are together in Port Huron. Clearly her gorgeousness almost rubbed off on me:

Although my eyes never really left London (another terrorist attack left me feeling pretty shocked and I nearly beat up a preacher I had to tolerate the following morning) I left Port Huron filled with memories and family love. Sure there were a few things I didn't quite manage (Sorry Kalamazoo crew--we'll get it right next year!) but it was perfect down time and I'm so grateful for all the love, the challenges, the lessons. I was particularly glad to be reminded that the women in my family are bad MFs.

I sign this blog post off with a photo of me as a baby with my Ojibwa grandmother and great-grandmother. The tales they could tell would make your hair stand on end. So just to remind me when I think the going is getting tough:

About the Astrologer


Alex Trenoweth was voted Best International Astrologer, 2015 for her dynamic presentation on her innovative and original research into Astrology and Education. Her book, "Growing Pains" is an exciting development in astrology as it combines classroom teaching experience, sound investigation and the potential to have a positive impact on struggling adolescents, parents, teachers and those who have been labelled "at risk". She writes the yearly horoscopes and other articles for the Cosmic Intelligence Agency, one of the largest astrological social media groups on the web and was also a speaker for the AstroSummit, a guest lecturer for the London School of Astrology and has spoken at several UK local astrology groups. Past international events include ISARState of the Art Astrology conference, the Kepler Conference, Congresso Internacional de Astrologia (Portugal), Kepler College, the Mercury Internet School of Psychological Astrology, Astrology Restored in Cape Town,  the International Academy of Astrology and NORWAC Upcoming events include San Diego, Las Vegas, the San Francisco Astrology Society and the Scottish Astrological Association Alex is also Vice Principal and Secretary General of International Affairs for the Krishnamurti Institute of Astrology and will will be taking up her residential post in India 2017. For queries, consultations or syndications, please contact Alex via www.alextrenoweth.com or leave a message in the comment section.
"Growing Pains" can be purchased in paperback or kindle format on Amazon or can be signed and posted directly to you by Alex.

About the New Book


There are two wolves fighting inside of me, the old story goes, one wolf is good and the other is evil. “But Grandfather,” asked the child, “Which one wins?” The Grandfather answered, “The wolf I feed.”

We might like to think that being good is a natural instinct. In fact, doing the right thing takes a conscious decision. Every day, we are met with temptation to get ahead at the expense of someone else, to get away with something we know is wrong or to cut corners if we think no one is watching.

Following on from her powerful book on astrology and Education, “Growing Pains”, Alex Trenoweth explores the benefits of using “the bad guy” of the solar system: Saturn. Often avoided and seldom understood, if we understand our own Saturn then we can help others to understand theirs. Using case studies of  highly successful people contrasted with convicted serial killers, Trenoweth deftly demonstrates the dire consequences of feeding the wrong wolf.


No comments: